- reading success & leadership books
- attending seminars
- and maybe even therapy
It gets better.
By finding a mentor, you could gain:
- better leadership skills
- better people skills
- decisiveness under pressure
- become a world class salesman or saleswoman
- learn the secret to get the body of your dreams
Wait! Doesn't it take years to master these skills?
All of this is possible for you to obtain faster than you could imagine. And I mean learning-in-the-Matrix fast.
- how they handle themselves - including posture & confidence
- speech patterns - accent/pronunciation, pacing, & intonation
- how they relate to people
- their success habits and disciplines
- even their happiness and general attitude toward life
All of this can be mimicked and adopted.
Angry at the world? You could sidestep years of therapy by finding a mentor who is supremely positive and happy.
Want to be a better speaker?
You could hire a speech coach and spend thousands, or instead, you might try this. Select your favorite TED talk and watch it 40x. You don't have to intentionally look for the speakers hand gestures, the timing in which she delivers her best points, or how she connects with the crowd. Your brain will do it subconsciously.
It's for this same reason that my mentor, Jim Rohn, said to very careful when you select your friends. The power of proximity and mimicking effects work when you're surrounded by them as well.
3 Easy Tips for Finding a Mentor
Entrepreneurs - Your #1 Trap Finding a Mentor
- Steve Jobs
- Jeff Bezos
- Oprah Winfrey
- Mark Cuban
The First Leader I Strove to Emulate
Find a model of what you want and then do what they have done.
- I want his steadfast and unshakable focus.
- I like how he makes his employees the highest priority (over customers and shareholders).
- I admire his willingness to try anything and laugh at failure if it doesn’t work.
- I respect his willingness to take big risks, yet always protect the downside.
- I like how he always makes “will this be fun” a criterion for whether he does a business deal or not.
- I think it’s awesome how he always positions his endeavors as the underdog, fighting an injustice for the little guy against the Goliath who has created an injustice.
- And more.
Don’t compare yourself to the results of others, but find inspiration in their methods of success.
Choose the Right Types of Leaders and Mentors
- Physical, meaning your health
- Relationship, meaning your significant other
- Family, meaning your kids and extended family members
- Mental, meaning your personal growth and development
- a Season focused coach
- and Skill focused coaches